We know the thought of preparing for surgery can make you feel nervous and scared. We also know the process of paperwork, scheduling and preparations can feel tedious and redundant. We’ve developed this section of the Southwest Washington Surgery website to guide you through these vital steps quickly so you can get into the operating room then on to the road to recovery.
Knowing the Details of Your Surgery
Your surgeon will discuss the details of your specific surgery at the time of your preoperative visit(s).
Scheduling a Procedure With Your Surgeon
Your surgeon’s office will work with you to find the most suitable day on which your procedure can take place. Your surgeon’s staff will then contact the Surgery Center on your behalf to add your procedure to our schedule. A staff member will contact you the day before your procedure to confirm the exact time of your surgery or procedure.
The day before your procedure we will call you with the final time after we consult with your surgeon’s office. We cannot finalize the exact time of your surgery sooner because your surgeon may need to make changes to his / her schedule.
During the phone call to confirm your procedure time, you also will have an opportunity to ask questions and review preoperative information, including information about medications. If you miss your call, or if you have questions or concerns, please contact us at (360) 449-6344 before 7:00 p.m.
Pre-registration before the day of your procedure will make check-in easier on the day of your appointment. Complete the following forms prior to your visit for a smoother and easier preparation on the day of your surgery.
If you prefer, you may visit us any time prior to the day of your surgery and pre-register in person. Our Pre-Registration Department is located in Suite 230 in the Physician Pavilion. If you would like to complete pre-registration over the phone, you may also contact us at (360) 449-6355.
Important Information About Your Rights
It’s very important that you review the following information regarding your rights and responsibilities, our privacy policies and our financial policies:
If you need to clarify any of the information above, or to ask questions, please contact the appropriate department below:
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities – (360) 449-8299
- Advanced directives – (360) 449-8299
- Financial Policy – (360) 449-6354
Preparing for Surgery
Your comfort and safety is very important to us. Please make sure you have read and understand the following pre-procedure preparations. If you do not follow these instructions it’s possible we will have to reschedule your procedure for your safety. If you are unsure about any of these preparations, please contact our staff prior to arrival for your procedure at (360) 449-6344.
- Refrain from alcoholic beverages or smoking for 24 hours before and after your surgery.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you home, or ride with you in a taxicab or medical transport, and stay with you for 24 hours following surgery. Due to possible side effects of anesthesia, your procedure will be canceled if this requirement is not met.
- The night before your procedure, you may eat a normal meal, but do not eat, drink or chew anything after midnight. This includes water, coffee, tea, soda and all types of food, candy, mints, chewing tobacco, etc.
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth, but do not swallow the water.
- Please have a list of your current medications to review with a staff member who will contact you prior to surgery. Some prescribed medications should not be taken prior to surgery. If you have a specific question about medications or a concern regarding anesthesia please call (360) 449-6344.
- Female patients should let us know if they are pregnant or think that they may be pregnant.
- If you develop a fever, show signs of a cold or flu, are exposed to a communicable disease, if you are currently taking antibiotics for an infection, or if you need to cancel your surgery for any other heath reasons, please notify your surgeon and also call the Surgery Center at (360) 449-6344.
Preparing for Surgery: Children
Please check with your surgeon for special instructions related to children preparing for surgery. If your child is under 18 years old, we require that a parent, guardian or legally responsible adult remain in the reception area during surgery.
Important Things to Remember: Children
- Do not allow your child to eat or drink after midnight. This includes water, candy, gum and breath mints.
- Children under 10 years of age should not brush their teeth on the day of surgery.
- For comfort, make sure to bring their favorite stuffed toy or blanket!
- Bring diapers, bottles, sippy-cups, and other necessary items from your daily routine.
- Bring any legal documents that may be required if you are a court appointed guardian.
Cost of Services
To obtain an estimate of the cost of your service or if you have questions about your insurance coverage, an Account Representative is ready to assist you at (360) 449-6354.
If you cannot pay your personal balance at the time of the service you should arrange to make partial payments by contacting your Account Representatives. We’re ready to assist you at (360) 449-6349.